Making pinecone bird feeders, is a great way for tamariki to gain an appreciation of Tane Mahuta (God of the forest & birds), connect to nature, learn how to follow a process & develop fine motor skills. Plus it’s super FUN, a bit sticky & a bit messy!
What you’ll need:
- Pine cones
- Wild bird seed
- Coconut oil or peanut butter
- Tie string around one end of the pine cone and make a loop so you can hang it.
- Paint slightly melted coconut oil or spread peanut butter all over the pine cone and in the gaps.
- Next pour bird seed onto a dinner plate or tray.
- Roll the pine cone over the birdseed & shake off any excess.
- Set aside pine cone in a cool place to set, or pop into the fridge until hardened.
- Hang bird feeder in a tree, sit back & enjoy!
Written by: Angela Stone
Images: Susan hunt